Interested in teaching a Senior College course?
We welcome new faces and ideas! Tell us about yourself and the class you'd like to teach using our course proposal form.
Teaching for Senior College:
What Makes a Successful Course
1. Those who register for Senior College are best described as active, engaged, and experienced people. They respond best when their wisdom is respected and their curiosity rewarded.
2. Be organized and enthusiastic. It pays to prepare well and understand that our students want to learn from you.
3. Senior College students will engage you with questions. When the question or inquiry is off the topic, remember that the rest of the group prefers to stay on topic. Deflect unrelated questions and engage the individual outside of class.
4. Classes should be conducted in an informal way, but with purpose and direction. It pays to think about “beginning, middle, and end” for each session. Make the goals of each session clear, work toward those goals during the class session, and sum things up at the end of the session.
5. Students should enjoy sharing the experience and have the opportunity to socialize with you and others in the class.
5. Speak slowly and clearly, presenting visual material in a format that is easily seen, and proceeding with a sense of organization. A break is in order when a class lasts for more than 90 minutes.
7. Our classes should not subject students to sales pitches, solicitations for business, or involve any additional charges beyond the tuition they pay (unless additional fees were listed in the catalog).
8. We solicit feedback at the end of each course or event. A copy of our feedback form is available on the website so you will be aware of the items included. The results are shared with our Curriculum Committee and Senior College’s Board of Directors. Feel free to follow up with your course sponsor or class host.
We do want all our instructors to have successful and rewarding experiences teaching for Senior College. And we hope they will continue to teach for us!
2500 FLEUR DR, DES MOINES, IA 50321 | (515) 244–0631 | E-MAIL US!
NOTICE OF NONDISCRIMATORY POLICY AS TO STUDENTS: Senior College of Greater Des Moines, Inc. admits students of any age, race, disability, sexual orientation, creed, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, disability, sexual orientation, creed, color, national or ethnic origin in administration of its policies and procedures.